An article is usually an independent piece of prose found in newspapers or magazines. It is usually non-fiction and informative in nature. The name of the writer is always mentioned with the article. These methods to write articles will be helpful with following methods:
Points to remember
- The purpose of writing the article should be clear.
- The title can be a single word, a phrase or even a sentence, which is catchy.
- The body of the article follows a structured approach.
- Think of the kind of readers expected to read the article and then attempt to write it.
- The vocabulary and grammar has to be specific to the topic and use of difficult and bombastic language should be avoided.
- The visual/verbal input should be used to the optimum and interpreted as per the needs of the article.
- The points, quotations, etc in the article have to be planned out.
- Quotations should be added only when absolutely essential. Do not overdo the use of quotations.
It is important to remember these effective methods to write articles.
What is an article?
- is a piece of writing usually intended for publication in a newspaper, magazine or journal
- is written for a wide audience, so it is essential to attract and retain the readers’ attention
- may include amusing stories, reported speech and descriptions
- can be formal or informal, depending on the target audience
- should be written in an interesting or entertaining manner
- should give opinions and thoughts, as well as facts
- is in a less formal style than a report An article can
An Article Can
- describe an experience, event, person or place
- present an opinion or balanced argument
- compare and contrast
- provide information
- offer suggestions
- offer advice
A title is absolutely necessary when writing an article, and should be a concise summary of the information which is going to follow in the article. In other words, the main topic of the article should be stated in the title.
Stimulating the reader’s interest is also essential – if the title looks uninteresting, why would anyone read it? There are various ways to achieve this. For example, if you are writing a description of a place, using adjectives can enhance the attractiveness of the place, before the reader begins reading the article, e.g. “The Tranquillity and Peace of an Island that Time Forgot”. If the task involves proposing a solution to a problem or your opinion, and so on, you can address your audience directly, e.g. “What You Need to Do to Be Successful”, or use a question such as “Is Learning English Really Necessary Today?” for the title. In more formal articles, it is more common to just summarise the topic in a short statement, e.g. “Laughter Can Improve Our Health”. The title should not be too long and should mirror the style of the article – formal or informal.
This is the major important phase among other methods to write articles
To ensure unity in a paragraph, it is necessary to group sentences around a main idea. This means that it is necessary to begin by finding a theme or Topic Sentence which sums up the main idea of the whole paragraph. The best position for this sentence is normally at the beginning of the paragraph, but it need not always be there. Sometimes there is no Topic Sentence, but only a topic or main idea around which the paragraph is written. However, it is preferable when writing an article to place the Topic Sentence at the beginning to help the reader to quickly comprehend the topic of the whole paragraph and minimise the likelihood of losing the theme altogether.
- Title : Eye-catching
- Introduction : Put the topic in perspective :
- Exposition of topic : Merits/demerits, causes-results, effects, etc
- Winding up : Your comments, opinion, criticism, etc
- Conclusion : A hope, warning, an appeal or a call for action
- Name of the writer : It can be placed just after the heading or at the end of the article.
If you want to learn English Communication effectively for speaking to
different people of other fields, you may register for a FREE DEMO
CLASS in EngConvo.
Click on this below given link and fill the
necessary details for FREE DEMO CLASS